I honestly think toasts can be a full out meal. Mushroom and avocado is my favourite combination. With some vegan cheese and maybe a slice of tomato ? heaven in your mouth!
Possible toppings for toasts:
- Micro greens – not only are they a pretty burst of green but they’re really delicious
- Nuts – my preference are pine nuts. But crushed walnuts and pecans would be great too!
- Olives: The contrast of some sliced black olives would look amazing!
- Vegan cheese: I love melting some vegan cheese on my toast!
- Roasted broccoli or peppers would taste so good with these!
- Chives or purple onions would not only look pretty but would add another complexity to the flavours!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY MUSHROOM TOAST
When making a mushroom toast, use a less common mushroom to infuse some deliciouness on your toast!
When you pan fry your mushrooms, make sure you spread them out on your pan so the mushrooms steam and cook properly! I usually move the mushrooms to the sides of the pan and put a fresh batch of mushroom slices in the centre of the pan. Finally when you’re done cooking them, add some minced garlic, red pepper flakes and some reasoning (like a bit of salt, onion powder etc) and mix it in. Your mushrooms are ready!
Toast your slice of bread, add some vegan butter if you wish or some avocado mash (highly recommend!). It’s been a few years of trying to find the perfect avocado. If you get one that is slightly soft to touch, chances are you’ve got a good avocado on your hands. With a fork, mash half the avocado (put the skin of the empty half of the avocado on the remaining half and stick it in the fridge to eat the next day!), sprinkle some sea salt and a good squeeze of lemon and you have yourself the perfect avocado mash!
Types of Mushrooms
Using a variety of mushrooms will result in great texture and flavour. Pan-fry mushrooms until well browned (fry in batches to avoid crowding the pan which will cause the mushrooms to steam instead of sear). Add garlic, chilli/red pepper flakes and herbs of your choice and a few knobs of butter. Stir well then season with lemon, salt and pepper. At this point you can add a splash of cream but I find the butter does a good job of making the mushrooms nice and creamy.
Apply your avocado mash on the toast and then top it with your sautéed mushrooms. Finally add some of your own toppings to make the toast unique and delicious to you!
You can make your own delicious vegan cheese sauce but I love splurging a little and getting some store bought cheese.
Easy Mushroom Toast
- 1 toaster
- 1 stove top
- 1 piece toast sourdough preferred
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 5 mushrooms cremeni, shiitake
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 avocado ripe
- wipe and prepare your mushrooms. Slice them thinly, about 1 cm
- heat a thin layer of olive oil in a medium pan over low-medium heat
- place your mushrooms in the pan. Arrange them so they don't overlap
- Once they start to cook and shrink in size, flip them over carefully
- once fully cooked, slide them to the edge and up the pan a little to make room for the next batch of slices (if applicable)
- once all your mushroom slices are cooked, add your minced garlic, sea salt and red chili flakes and cook for a few more minutes. Remove from heat
- Butter your bread, if desired.
- And your avocado mash, followed by mushrooms, followed by vegan cheese and your spices and herbs
© sculptedkitchen.com. All content and images are protected by copyright. Please share this recipe using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or republish the recipe or content in full. instead, include a link to this post for the recipe.