This is a delicious creamy sauce made from cashews! It’s dairy free and so addictive!
Vegan Pasta Recipe Ingredients
This is a delicious way to use cashews. I feel like I use coconut milk/cream, and potatoes so often that this was a nice alternative!
- Cashews is what makes this sauce so thick! It also adds protein to this meal! Just make sure they’ve been soaked for at least 4 hours!
- Lemon juice adds a bit of tang to the recipe. 1 and half lemons may seem like a lot but the cashews are such a strong flavour that the lemons will help tone it down.
- Olive oil adds richness.
- Mushrooms can be mixed inside the sauce or served as a topping!
- Garlic and onion powder No recipe is complete without these two powerhouses! They just bring all the flavours together
- Vegetable broth (and pasta cooking water, if you like) loosens the sauce as needed.
- Pasta. I used a mushroom tortellini but anything can do
- Spinach Adding this component will amp up your iron!
- Dill is such a delicious punch of flavour. I love using this with lemon and garlic!
Gluten Free Options?
Could you sub a gluten free pasta for the tortellini? Absolutely! Any sized gluten free pasta will do with this recipe!
I haven’t made this particular recipe without cashews but I was considering other options like:
- soft tofu
- white beans
- coconut cream
Substitutions that can be used for this pasta!
This vegan pasta is a great recipe to play with! The creamy, luscious vegan pasta sauce is a fantastic starting point for different combinations of vegetables, noodles, seasonings, and more. Here are a few ideas for changing it up:
- Sub in other vegetables! I personally love mushrooms and spinach together. If that’s not your thing, you can substitute zucchini, broccoli or even yellow peppers!
- Omit the pasta! If pasta is not your thing just add in more vegetables or be creative with the vegetables (Make cauliflower rice!)
- Add in more heat! I added some red chili pepper flakes. You could also add more black pepper on top.
- Toppings: Sub the basil for dill or even add some nuts on top for an extra crunch. Add some vegan parmesan for some more delicious flavour!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
Creamy Lemon Garlic Tortellini with Garlicky Mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 onion yellow
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup spinach baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 1/2 lemons juiced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 + 1 cup vegetable stock 1 cup is for blending and the other is to thin the sauce in the pan
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper extra for garnish
- 2 cups cashews soaked previously for at least 4 hours
- 1 cup heavy oat cream I used an oat creamer and this is optional. You can also use any dairy free milk really
- 5 cremeni mushrooms medium
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups cashews soaked for 4 hours at least, or overnight
- 2 cups home made or store bought tortellini cooked to package directions
- Soak cashews in a medium bowl for at least 4 hours or overnight preferably
- Dampen a washcloth, and pat your mushrooms clean.
- Slice them to your desired thickness. They do get smaller a bit when cooked
- Coat a large pan with olive oil and let it warm up on low medium heat
- add your minced garlic to the pan and let it soften
- Add your mushrooms in, spreading them out as best as you can.
- Let them cook like this for 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Using the same pan as the garlicky mushrooms, coat your pan with olive oil again
- Let it sauté for a few minutes on medium low heat
- add your minced garlic and allow it to get fragrant and soft
- add in your tomato paste and mix
- Add in all your spices, including salt
- Mix this mixture for a few minutes.
- When it starts sticking to the pan, add in your vegetable stock.
- Bring to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly
- Add your cashews and mixture from pan to a blender, being careful if it's still hot
- Blend until smooth and add back to the pan
- Because cashews cook, just have the heat on very low and mix constantly for 5 minutes
- Add in more stock or milk to thin out the sauce to your liking.
- Add in your spinach and taste for salt and lemon and garlic.